Apple cider vinegar (ACV) ranks as one of the best natural remedies for healing the body from almost anything.
All the goodness of the apple is extracted and retained, while organic acids and enzymes are added through the fermentation process.
This post may contain affiliate links, at no extra cost to you.
ACV can be used as an antiseptic and is rich in minerals like magnesium (most of us are magnesium deficient) and pectin.
Apple cider vinegar has many other uses, from DIY beauty remedies to cleaning, gardening, and pet care.
It’s important to look for raw, unfiltered, unpasteurized, organic ACV. You may not find it in the grocery stores, but you will at health food stores, Amazon, or iHerb.
- 1 50+ Uses for Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Apple Cider Vinegar Side Effects
50+ Uses for Apple Cider Vinegar
There are way more than 50 uses of apple cider vinegar, but I chose the best ones and the ones I use most.
1. Body Detox – easily cleanse your liver and kidneys (no more chronic fatigue): Add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a 1 or 2-liter filtered water bottle. Drink this throughout the day to cleanse your body and kidneys all day long.
2. Sinus infections and chest colds – add 1/4 cup or more vinegar to your vaporizer. To relieve cough, mix half a cup of ACV, half a cup of water, 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, and 4 teaspoons of organic honey.
Take 1 spoon when a cough “acts up” and one more before you go to bed.
👉Here’s my post about how I naturally cured my sinus infection in 2 days.
3. Weight Loss – ACV breaks down fat and promotes metabolism. This, however, was never scientifically proven. Some suggest that it works by alkalizing your body. In a study that found weight loss benefits, people drank about 2 tablespoons of ACV a day – one before lunch and the other before dinner. Experts claim that amount should be safe for most people.
👉 See the 2 best ways to lose weight without exercising (or dieting!)
4. Lower blood pressure and cholesterol – in as little as 2 weeks! A large observational study also found that people who added oil and vinegar dressing to salads five to six times a week had lower rates of heart disease than people who didn’t.
Use this breathing exercise for high blood pressure to reduce your BP in just a few minutes!
5. Diabetes – several diabetes studies have found that vinegar may help lower glucose levels. Taking two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before bed lowered glucose levels in the morning by 4%-6%. However, it may counter-interact with insulin. Check with your doctor first, please.
6. Candida and Yeast Infection Cure – ACV can stop and at least reduce sugar cravings.
7. Allergies – it’s been said that when ACV is taken at the first sign of an allergy, one can completely stop the histamine response. This is thought to be caused by the high potassium level.
You can try this recipe: Equal parts of Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (one tbsp each) in a glass. Drink a shot first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. You can repeat this 3 times a day. If you can’t bear the taste, add honey or molasses to sweeten up the deal.
Drink plenty of water during the day, it’s important. Be sure to sip slowly, as the ACV will burn as you swallow.
8. Arthritis, Stiff joints, and Gout – before each meal drink a glass of water containing two teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar. Give it at least three weeks to start working.
👉 Here’s my post about the best home remedies for arthritis and joint pain
9. Acid reflux and Heartburn Cure – ACV can strengthen stomach acid. (Weak stomach acid that causes acid reflux).
10. Sunburn – add a cup of apple cider vinegar to your bath and soak for 10 minutes.
11. Topical skin burns: apply ice-cold apple cider vinegar to prevent blistering.
12. Swelling Hands and Feet – are your hands and feet feeling tired and swollen after a long day? Treat yourself to a personal spa massage by rubbing apple cider vinegar on them.
13. Bee or Jellyfish Sting – dot the irritated area with vinegar and relieve itching.
14. Mosquito and other Bug Bites – use a cotton ball to dab mosquito and other bug bites with ACV straight from the bottle.
15. Warts – apply a lotion of half ACV and half glycerin. Apply daily to warts until they dissolve.
16. Fever reduction – applying a cotton cloth soaked with ACV can quickly reduce high fever. I have done this many times with my children with great success and managed to avoid fever-reducing medication.
17. Acne – ACV can regulate the pH of your skin. Dilute ACV with two parts water, and spread the concoction over your face with a cotton ball as a toner, after washing your face at night. Repeat in the morning before applying moisturizer.
18. Gallbladder Pain – ACV can stop a gallbladder attack in 15 minutes or less. This is known to me through personal experience. See how to use apple cider vinegar for gallbladder attacks!
For all health purposes, I remind you to look for raw, unfiltered, unpasteurized, organic “mother” ACV, like this one.
1. Glowing Hair – ACV is an excellent rinse for your hair after shampooing, to add shine and glow to tired-looking hair.
Fill an old shampoo bottle with 2 tablespoons of ACV and 1 cup of cold water. Pour through your hair after shampooing several times a week. Rinse after 5 minutes. Do not use for more than once a week to prevent drying of your hair.
👉See my 11 favorite homemade hair product recipes (these take 2 minutes to make!)
2. Dandruff – mix 1 part ACV with 3 parts warm water to balance scalp pH and control dandruff. You can also apply undiluted vinegar to the scalp. Allow it to penetrate, and then wash it with a mild shampoo.
👉Here’s how to stop dry itchy scalp with home remedies
3. Age spots – dab areas with straight ACV and leave on overnight.
4. Overnight Facial –pat some ACV on your face before you go to bed, for more youthful skin and fewer blemishes. You’ll be surprised at your smooth and soft skin when you wake up in the morning.
5. Spider veins – ACV is one of the most effective natural remedies for spider veins. See how to get rid of spider veins naturally.
Home & Garden Uses
1. Keep Fruits Fresh – prepare a mixture of one part ACV and 10 parts water. Dump your fruit (especially berries, that don’t last long) into the mixture and swirl around.
Drain, rinse, and pop in the fridge. The vinegar kills any mold spores and other bacteria that might be on the surface of the fruit. Fruits (and even berries) will last a week or two longer.
2. Cleaning: mix 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar with 1 cup of water, to clean and disinfect microwaves, bathroom tiles, kitchen surfaces, windows, glasses, and mirrors.
3. Removing Fruit Stains – if your hands are stained from berries, dab some straight apple cider vinegar on the stains and they will magically disappear.
4. Clean rust from tools – Soak the rusted tool, bolt, or spigot in undiluted vinegar overnight.
5. Kill grass on walks and driveways – pour full strength (white vinegar) on unwanted grass.
6. Kill Weeds – spray full-strength vinegar on the weeds until plants have starved.
7. Clean Scorched Iron – heat equal parts ACV and salt in a small pan, and rub the mixture on the cooled iron surface to remove burned stains.
8. Freshen up Cut Flowers – add 2 tablespoons vinegar and 1 teaspoon sugar for each quart of water.
9. Make Fresh Flowers Last – add 2 tablespoons of vinegar and 3 tablespoons of sugar per quart of warm water. Stems should be in three to four inches of water.
10. Eliminate Animal Urine Stains from the carpet – blot up urine with a soft cloth, flush several times with lukewarm water, then apply a mixture of equal parts vinegar and cool water. Blot up, rinse, and let dry.
11. Keep Ants Away – spray vinegar around door and window frames, under appliances, and along with other known ant trails.
12. Prevent Frost on Car Windows – cover the windows at night, with a mixture of 3 parts white vinegar and 1 part water.
13. Get Rid of Lint in Clothes – add 1/2 cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle.
14. Stop Lint From Getting Stuck on Clothes – add 1 cup of ACV to each wash load.
15. Keep Bright Colors from Running – put clothes in full-strength white vinegar for 10 minutes before.
If you really want to keep a toxin-free home, white and apple cider vinegar are one of the best tools you’ll ever have.
Apple Cider Vinegar Pet Care Uses
1. Flea Reduction – rub ACV onto your pet’s skin and add a little bit of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water. Spray ACV, diluted with water, on your furniture to repel the fleas.
2. Remove Skunk Odor from a Dog – rub his or her fur with full-strength vinegar; rinse. Relieve Arthritic Condition – ACV added to your pet’s food will ease arthritis symptoms.
3. Itchy skin, hot spots, or low appetite – ACV may change things around. For a good appetite, use 1 tablespoon twice a day for a 50 lb dog.
For itchy skin or beginning hot spots, put ACV in a spray bottle, part the hair, and spray on. It will dry any skin eruption in a day.
What is the “Mother” in the Apple Cider Vinegar?
Organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar also contains the “mother” – strands of proteins, enzymes, and friendly bacteria that give the product a murky appearance.
ACV with the mother is apple cider vinegar that still has the culture of beneficial bacteria that turns regular apple cider into vinegar in the first place.
Does Apple Cider Vinegar Go Bad?
Apple cider vinegar is highly acidic and has antimicrobial properties that make it a self-preserve. While it technically never expires, storing it in a cool, dark place helps preserve its quality.
You’ll notice that it loses its quality when you see it becomes hazy or separating or notice cloudy sediments or fibers at the bottom. This happens due to exposure to oxygen every time you open the bottle.
Can You Add Apple Cider Vinegar to Your Bath?
Yes, you can take a bath with added apple cider vinegar and it’s a good idea too. While it may sound like a strange beauty and health routine, taking a bath with apple cider vinegar may help detox your body by clearing up fungus. It can also relieve sunburn, treat warts and athlete’s foot, and help with joint pain.
Here’s how to do it:
Add 1-2 cups of apple cider vinegar to your bath. Soak for 20-30 minutes, and make sure to get your hair wet as well, and rinse off your face with a washcloth. Follow the bath with a shower to rinse off the excess vinegar water.
Apple Cider Vinegar Side Effects
Apple cider vinegar is generally considered safe to consume, but it can cause side effects in some people. Here’s what you need to look out for:
1. Digestive problems: Apple cider vinegar is highly acidic, which can cause indigestion and nausea in some people. Consuming too much apple cider vinegar can also lead to diarrhea
2. Tooth enamel erosion: the acid can erode tooth enamel if it is taken frequently or in large amounts.
3. Drug interactions: Apple cider vinegar can interfere with certain medications, such as diuretics and insulin. If you are taking any medications, it is important to talk to your doctor before adding apple cider vinegar to your diet.
4. Skin irritation: Apple cider vinegar can cause skin irritation (for some people). To avoid skin irritation, it is important to dilute the vinegar with water before applying it to the skin.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar Safely
- ACV should always be diluted in water before swallowing. Pure apple cider vinegar could damage the tooth enamel and the tissues in your throat and mouth
- Long-term use of ACV could cause low potassium levels and lower bone density. Avoid this by not using it for more than a week or so, without taking a break for another week. If you have osteoporosis, check with your doctor to see if it’s safe for you.
- If you have diabetes, check with your doctor before using apple cider vinegar. Vinegar contains chromium, which can alter your insulin levels.
To your health and happiness,
Yagnik, D., Serafin, V. & J. Shah, A. Antimicrobial activity of apple cider vinegar against Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus aureus and Candida albicans; downregulating cytokine and microbial protein expression. Sci Rep 8, 1732 (2018).
Gheflati A, Bashiri R, Ghadiri-Anari A, Reza JZ, Kord MT, Nadjarzadeh A. The effect of apple vinegar consumption on glycemic indices, blood pressure, oxidative stress, and homocysteine in patients with type 2 diabetes and dyslipidemia: A randomized controlled clinical trial. Clin Nutr ESPEN. 2019 Oct;33:132-138.
Hadi A, Pourmasoumi M, Najafgholizadeh A, Clark CCT, Esmaillzadeh A. The effect of apple cider vinegar on lipid profiles and glycemic parameters: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. BMC Complement Med Ther. 2021 Jun 29;21(1):179.
Kondo T, Kishi M, Fushimi T, Ugajin S, Kaga T. Vinegar intake reduces body weight, body fat mass, and serum triglyceride levels in obese Japanese subjects. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2009 Aug;73(8):1837-43.
6 thoughts on “The 50 Best Apple Cider Vinegar Uses (Health, Beauty & More)”
Thanks so much for sharing your tip with us:)
I suffer from cervical spondylosis,
And accidentally discovered that ACV eased the pain.
I used some ACV on my neck to remove some warts I had bothering me. And woke not feeling the terrible pain I had in my neck.
I did the research and found out that it was a great way to ease pain associated with cervical spondylosis both as a topical massage and an oral dose.
Thanks for ACV.
I’m thrilled! so glad it helped. Thanks for taking the time to let us know. Very helpful:)
I had my gallbladder out back in the 1980s.
Up until 3-4 years ago, I had experienced no pain.
I couldn’t believe it when the terrible pain started coming back.
My doctor said that the surgeon must have left a duct to where stones were accumulating
Long story short, I have been up all night with this gallbladder pain. Then I found your website and your advice on how to release the pain.
I took 2 teaspoons of ACV and 8oz of apple juice and the pain is gone!
I am soooo grateful!
It drives me crazy when I see spots on my Corian counters in the kitchen and in the bathroom every day I wipe them with a cloth that has been saturated with vinegar and rung out. The vinegar helps to remove any water spots and keeps calcium deposits from developing.
Always used vinegar rinse when I was a teen with natural blonde hair. And does a very good job on faucets that have hard water stains. And ants won’t cross it.