Can you use Aloe Vera to get rid of wrinkles and fine lines?
Well, here’s what research says:
Aloe Vera works from the inside out to reverse aging skin, reduce dullness and improve plumping of your skin, which is what the best (and most expensive) creams on the market fail to do.
So, how do I use these findings?
In this post, you’ll find all the answers.
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
- 1 Aloe Vera for Wrinkles Study
- 2 Can Aloe Vera Make Your Skin Look Younger?
- 3 How to Use Aloe Vera to Reduce Wrinkles
- 4 Where Do I Get an Aloe Vera Plant?
- 5 6 Fantastic Homemade Aloe Vera Skin Care Products
- 6 Aloe Vera Side Effects
Aloe Vera for Wrinkles Study
Aloe Vera gel is not just an effective remedy for sunburn. Oh no. It’s so much more than that.
In a study published in the Annals of Dermatology in 2009, researchers found that just 1200 mg/d (1/4 teaspoon!) of pure Aloe Vera gel can significantly reverse signs of aging skin – in 90 days.
30 healthy women over the age of 45 received 2 different oral doses (low dose – 1200 mg/d, high dose – 3600 mg/d) of pure Aloe Vera gel supplementation for 90 days.
The results were remarkable:
After just 90 days, facial wrinkles improved significantly in both groups, and facial elasticity improved in the lower dose group.
The conclusion was:
Drinking aloe gel boosted the production of collagen, the basic structural component of the skin – for all skin types.
Aloe is one of the best natural boosters of collagen production!
The more collagen your skin produces – the fewer wrinkles and sagging skin you’ll have.
👉 And the best news?
Aloe also worked way down at the DNA level. It decreased gene activity that causes collagen to become damaged in the first place.
By the way, besides rejuvenating your skin, Aloe Vera can detox your digestive system. The gel moves through your intestinal tract and picks up toxins along the way. It drags them out through your colon.
Detoxing your system is another great way to make your skin cells shine from within.
Can Aloe Vera Make Your Skin Look Younger?
Aloe Vera is one of the best anti-aging plants on earth.
Topically, it repairs skin damage (burns, scars, wounds, acne), moisturizes your skin, and promotes skin firmness. Internally – it helps rebuild collagen (more of it and faster). At the DNA level – it fights to prevent collagen breakdown in the first place.
👉 See why I use Aloe Vera on my face overnight
Simply put, Aloe Vera works from the inside out to reverse wrinkles and prevent new ones from appearing – in a matter of 90 days.
It is not only a safe, non-toxic, and natural anti-aging treatment – it’s also one of the cheapest wrinkle-reducer methods ever.
How to Use Aloe Vera to Reduce Wrinkles
If you can get your hands on the actual Aloe Vera plant – that’s the best option.
All you have to do is to extract Aloe’s miracle gel from inside the leaf and you have the cheapest and most powerful wrinkle-fighter – without having to rub unknown, lab-created chemicals on your face.
That gel is precious. It’s 96% water but also has over 200 healing phytonutrients.
A fresh Aloe Vera Leaf should stay fresh when stored in the fridge for about 2-3 weeks.
Here’s how to easily fillet Aloe and remove the gel:
If you can’t find the fresh Aloe leaf, look for 100% organic Aloe Vera Juice and add 1-2 teaspoons to your smoothie.
Do not use any normal store-bought Aloe Vera gel because they’re filled with chemicals and non-edible nasties.
Here’s how to use it in your skincare routine
Here’s how to add Aloe Vera to your daily skincare routine:
1. Take a small amount of freshly harvested or high-quality organic Aloe gel and massage it into your skin in a circular motion for 2-3 minutes.
I recommend you do this before sleep to help release toxins, tone, and firm facial skin texture and infuse it with nourishing and healing properties.
Don’t forget to apply as an eye cream – it’s known to be the greatest homemade eye cream ever.
2. You can mix 1 teaspoon of aloe gel and one Vitamin E capsule and apply it to areas where wrinkles are forming.
3. Add 1/4 teaspoon of aloe gel to your daily smoothie, preferably in the morning, to promote collagen production and prevent collagen breakdown.
👉 See below 5 great Aloe Vera anti-wrinkle treatments you can easily do at home!
Aloe Vera Gel for Under-Eye Wrinkles
Pure aloe vera gel is one of the best ways to prevent and reduce under-eye fine lines and wrinkles, puffiness, and dark circles.
It easily absorbs into the skin and is very soothing, and safe for sensitive skin.
Aloe contains 18 amino acids, B1, B3, B6, and C vitamins that help fight off free radicals that cause wrinkles.
How to use it for under and around the eyes wrinkles and dark circles:
- Choose either gel from the plant itself or store-bought natural aloe vera gel. You can use the gel alone or mix it with an equal part of sweet almond oil.
- Apply the aloe gel to your delicate under-eye. Use the middle of your pinky finger and gently tap into your skin until it’s fully absorbed. Do not rub the gel since rubbing can promote more wrinkles.
- I recommend doing this before you go to bed
Best Aloe Vera Gel for Face & Under-Eye Wrinkles
What to do when you can’t get your hands on Aloe miracle worker leaves?
You use the next best thing:
An organic, Paraben-free, no petrochemicals, no dyes, no alcohol Aloe Vera gel.
It contains 99.75% Concentrated Organic Aloe Vera[/su_highlight] (grown in Texas and certified by the Texas Department of Agriculture) Gel, cold-pressed to preserve.
You can use it daily for moisturizing your face and under your eyes, and even loan it to your husband to use as a great after-shave lotion.
Where Do I Get an Aloe Vera Plant?
For me it is simplest to order an aloe vera plant from Amazon – see all offers here.
You can also order ready-to-use organic aloe vera leaves from a very mature mother plant – HERE.
6 Fantastic Homemade Aloe Vera Skin Care Products
1. Homemade Aloe Vera Scrub
Regular exfoliation can help the skin with cell turnover and increase the production of collagen.
If you add Aloe to the mixture you’ll double the effect.
• 1 tablespoon of Aloe Gel
• 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
• A ¼ cup of brown sugar
Mix the ingredients together and massage it gently on your face in a circular motion. Do this for about 3-5 minutes then rinse off with lukewarm water. Pat dry after.
The brown sugar will exfoliate the dead skin and allow the oil and Aloe’s healing nutrients to penetrate your skin.
You can do this up to 3 times a week.
Enjoy your renewed radiance and youthful glowing complexion.
2. Homemade Aloe Vera Face Mask
Before applying any facial mask clean your face and neck with fresh water. Take off all cosmetics, day creams, lotions, in short: everything.
When finished, pat your skin dry.
If you can take a hot, pore-opening steaming shower before applying – even better.
Make a paste from all ingredients except for the aloe gel. Add the aloe gel to the paste and mix it well. Apply the paste to your face and neck evenly and leave for 20 minutes.
Wash it off with lukewarm water and pat dry with a clean towel. Repeat once a week.
3 More Simple Aloe Vera Masks
Alternatively, you can try 2 more (more simple) homemade aloe face masks to quickly improve your skin:
1. Mix 1 teaspoon of powdered sea greens with 1 tablespoon of Aloe Vera gel. Apply a thin layer to the face and leave on for ten minutes before rinsing. Do this once a week.
* Seaweed powder helps detoxify the body removing impurities and nourishing the skin by restoring it with essential nutrients. It also stimulates blood circulation leaving your skin with a healthy glow – and better health.
2. Mix 1 tbsp of Aloe Vera gel with 1 egg yolk and 1 teaspoon olive oil. Apply on your face and leave for 20 minutes. This face mask is so good it will look like you’ve been injected with Botox. Seriously.
3. Blend 1/2 cup of fresh grapes with 1 tablespoon of Aloe Vera gel and 1 tablespoon of raw honey. Apply over your face and leave for 20 minutes. Rinse and pat dry. Repeat once a week or alternate with the other recipes.
When you have applied the Aloe Vera face mask of choice make sure you take your time to lie down and relax.
👉 Put 2 cucumber slices on your eyes or use 2 used and cooled down Chamomile teabags (my favorite!) or 2 cotton pads soaked in rose or lavender water.
3. Homemade Aloe Vera Facial Spray
Ditch the toxic industrial face spray and enjoy the hydrating and soothing benefits of Aloe Vera and rosewater – anytime, anywhere.
- 1 cucumber
- 1 tbsp of Aloe Vera Gel
- 2 tbsp rosewater
- 1 bottle of mineral water
(And you will also need a spray bottle.)
Peel the cucumber and put it in a blender to make a paste, and then strain all the juice from it into a bowl.
Add 1 tbsp of aloe gel and 2 teaspoons of rosewater and mix well. Now, transfer this “juice” into a spray bottle and add the mineral water.
Your great-smelling mist is now ready to use. Spray a few times a day and enjoy your non-toxic Aloe Vera facial spray!
This face mist will last in your fridge for about a week, but you might love it so much that you will finish the bottle a lot quicker.
Aloe Vera Side Effects
Before you run out and get a giant tub of Aloe Vera gel or the largest Aloe plant you can find – there are a few things you have to know:
1. There are over 250 species of Aloe in the world. The most common one is Aloe Barbadensis.
This is the plant you should look for, either to plant and grow on your own or buy a 100% pure organic gel/juice.
2. Pay attention to dosage: High amounts of Aloe can cause diarrhea and allergic reactions. The study has found that you only need 1/4 of a teaspoon daily to get the amazing anti-aging benefits.
Don’t be tempted to increase the dosage to avoid toxicity.
3. Some people are sensitive or allergic to either topical or external use of Aloe Vera gel.
At your first use, try to rub a tiny amount of the gel on your skin and check for unwanted reactions.
So, can aloe vera make you look younger?
Aloe Vera is probably the cheapest yet most powerful anti-wrinkle treatment on earth. Science confirms it and my skin confirms it too.
Aloe works from the inside out to reverse your aged skin by promoting new collagen production and preventing the breakdown of existing collagen.
No other plant in the world, to my knowledge, can do that.
I’ll bet if you go and try it for a few weeks, you too will be interrogated about where you’ve had your Botox done, or who’s your gifted plastic surgeon. I know I am…
Give it a try and come back to let me know about the results…I can’t wait!
To your health and happiness,
I also use pure aloe gel inside my DIY organic mascara recipe.
Cho S, Lee S, Lee MJ, et al. Dietary Aloe Vera Supplementation Improves Facial Wrinkles and Elasticity and It Increases the Type I Procollagen Gene Expression in Human Skin in vivo. Ann Dermatol. 2009;21(1):6–11. doi:10.5021/ad.2009.21.1.6
Hekmatpou D, Mehrabi F, Rahzani K, Aminiyan A. The Effect of Aloe Vera Clinical Trials on Prevention and Healing of Skin Wound: A Systematic Review. Iran J Med Sci. 2019;44(1):1–9.